Wednesday, April 25, 2012

2012 International Plowing Match


Saturday, April 21, was the annual plowing match held in our town in Berthusen Park  The park is mostly wooded picnic area, but there are some open fields to the west where there is space and tables for flying radio-controlled airplanes and plenty of space also for the plowing match.  Last year's match was held on an overcast and rainy day, but this year it was sunny and warm and I returned home with some sunburn.  There were about 20 teams of draft horses and one riding plow.  There were also a good number of women competitors.  I did not stay long enough to see the results, since the match goes for four or five hours.  There are many different categories and prizes, but I go more to see the horses and admire them.  These are some of my pictures.






















And a few of the radio-controlled planes:


2 comments:

Judah said...

Farming with draft horses - one of my dreams! My next-door-neighbor and good friend has a team of Percherons that he has used over the years for logging, etc. He's actually bringing them out to the Island in the next week, so I'm hoping for a lesson or two.
Good photos! I notice you're capturing human as well as equine characters. No doubt it's uncharitable in me, so pardon me in advance, but those two guys in the tenth picture down do make me think of Tweedledum and Tweedledee in Alice in Wonderland.

Ron said...

Thanks for looking and commenting, Judah. They have this event every year and it is something we try not to miss. You should come up for it some time. Won't be for another year, though.